Thursday, November 6, 2008

I WISH YOU "THANK YOU"


When I chatted with my friend via yahoo messenger or people prefer to call it "ym". We had a quite long chat, and at the end, she did some favor for me. I thanked her, then I suddenly reminisced the "tepuk terima kasih" that I've learned (not a formal learning, it's just learn for fun during orientation week; INTEC students should know this) and I used that in my reply to her. Hmm..I typed "timer kaceh" (a cuter version of "terima kasih"), then "spasiba" (if I'm not mistaken it is Russian), "komawoyo" (Korean version, formal style), "danke"(German), "arigato" (of course, japanese), "syukran" (Arabic), "merci" (french) and lastly "thank you" (please don't ask me what language it is)

I found this interesting. Why? Because for a very specific word and specific purpose, different people use different language just to manifest the meaning of it.

This might seems to show that human kind is not united. Actually, the language is indeed different, but the emotional, the value of the thanks greeting itself is universal. All human feel the same when someone wishes him or her "thanks" although in distinct languages. Just like when a man says to a girl "I love you" or "Aku cintakan kamu" or "Ana uhibbuki" or "Saranghae", as long as the girl know what the man is talking about, she will feel the same, the feeling of being loved.

So, I typed some keywords on this and found an interesting website.
Click on this link : (here!)

When I saw through this website, I also found out that in certain languages, "thank you" greeted in different occasions also sounds different. For example, if the usage of "thank you" in English is universal for anyone and anywhere and anytime, the usage of "thank you" to a woman is different to a man in Quiche' language. This doesn't seem make sense for us; why should we do this? I think there must be a good reason why they do this; it's not done for fun for sure. There are several aspects in their culture that we have to explore in order to relinquish this.

It will be good if I memorize "thank you" in different languages, but better if I memorize "I love you" instead. Good for future, hehe..............

3 comments:

hisyam said...

wo ai ni( chinese)
aishiteru(japanese)
I lap u (engrish)
U lap I ? (ntah bahasa ape ntah)

aisya said...

hihi. thnx for the link-name. ;D btw. i kinda 4get all the languages they used for "tepuk2 trime kasih". hiihi. but then. its true. probably its better to memorize the "i luv u" rather than "thank u". hahahahaha.

faux fay said...

hahhaha.. i do agree wit aisya..
now i rmber u