Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Moneyball Metaphor

(I actually wrote this a while ago, republish this for fun)

I just watched the movie "Moneyball", featuring Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill. Overall, I really like this movie because it is simply inspiring. But I'm not gonna talk about the inspiration from this movie.

Before I move further, I might wanna explain the movie a bit so that it would be easier to explain later. "Moneyball" is the story of a MLB (Major League Baseball) General Manager (GM) for Oakland Athletics named Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) who tried to win games without spending much money due to lack of budget (which is unconventional since most winning teams buy expensive players). To do so, he employed a Yale-educated assistant, Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) whose job is to statistically and mathematically assist Beane in any decision.

At the end of the movie, Beane was offered the GM position for Boston Red Sox after his success at Oakland Athletics which includes unprecedented 20 consecutive wins in a season. The deal will make Beane the highest paid GM ever in MLB history. Brand insisted Beane to watch a film to help him decide whether to stay at Okland Athletics or to accept the offer. That film shows a fat baseball player (not sure which team he played) hitting baseball in a game. Brand explained that guy determined to go for it (meaning he would try to run all bases) as soon as he hit the ball, regardless of how the ball goes. He did hit the ball, so he runs furiously. Unfortunately, that fat guy stumbled at the first base (might be due to his large body), so he just stopped. Every players then laughed at him.

Beane puzzled as he doesn't know what Brand is trying to convince.

Brand explained (something like this) "No, the players laughed not because he fell down. It's because the fat guy actually hit a home run, without he himself realizing. "

It means people always try so hard to be successful without realizing a success sometimes could come by itself. Yes, this applies to me as well.

p/s: I should be myself that I used to, who is a person full of imagination and unconventional idea. Now that I've become (almost) adult, everything seems so serious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, man. This was exactly what I was looking for!